Have back pain_ these 5 everyday clothing items may be the cause – national _ globalnews. ca
While 28 per cent of women say they are aware that clothing may impact their back or neck pain and posture, 33 per cent don’t know the potential harm they could be doing.
READ MORE: 5 things that cause back pain and easy posture exercises to fix it
“I am always surprised at how many of my patients are unaware that their clothing and accessories can affect their back health and their posture and, equally, how many decide their outfit-choice outweighs their pain,” Tim Hutchful, BCA chiropractor, says in a statement. Weight loss home remedies “Some of the most popular items of clothing can have a hidden health impact. Healthy diet to lose weight plan While overloaded and heavy handbags are a common culprit, some more unexpected items like skinny jeans can also wreak havoc.”
These items are damaging, Hutchful says, because they restrict free movement in areas like the hips and knees, and affect the way women are holding up their bodies.
(However, the research has been rejected by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, BBC Newsreports.)
So what are the top five fashions that the BCA says may be causing such pain?
Other items that may be causing issues include asymmetric hemlines, oversized sleeves and hoods and heavy jewelry, Hutchful says.
“Whilst we are certainly not saying stop wearing your favourite clothes altogether like most things in life, moderation is best and there are easy ways you can reduce the impact on your posture and overall health,” Hutchful points out. Weight loss visualizer “For example, try and limit the number of time you wear skinny jeans or high heels every week so you’re giving your body a break, or try investing in a backpack for days when you have a lot to carry around.”
Within the last few years, some doctors have even warned against wearing skinny jeans.
In 2015, researchers documented one case where a 35-year-old woman’s legs and ankles swelled up and became weak to the point where she couldn’t walk because her skinny jeans were so tight.
She was diagnosed with compartment syndrome, a condition where confined parts of the body become swollen from increased pressure to the area.
READ MORE: Sit up straight: Why your smartphone is wreaking havoc on your back
The woman had been wearing unusually tight pants while she was helping a friend pack and move. Exercise schedule to lose weight Her fashion choice resulted in nerve and muscle damage in her legs.
But Dr. Exercise meaning Mary O’Keeffe, a back pain expert at the University of Limerick, tells BBC Newsthat the research done by the BCA has no evidence to support its claims.
“Simply put, skinny jeans, parka jackets, necklaces and any other clothing items do not cause back pain,” she says to BBC News. “There is no scientific evidence of an association. Lose belly fat diet recipes This may be counterintuitive, as women with back pain might report back pain when wearing or carrying certain items. Diet plan to lose weight fast However, to assume that the back pain was caused by these is definitely putting the horse before the cart.”
To prevent potential pain like this from happening, however, Hutchful offers several suggestions to keep one’s posture in check for all those fashion-forward folk:
• Variation: Wearing similar clothing every day can cause back pain due to the restriction of certain body parts. Paleo diet foods not allowed Shift the pressure on these areas by varying your style of clothing every day.
• Keep it loose: Tighter clothes restrict your movement, so stick to looser fitting clothing. Weight loss diet recipes If jeans are your thing, trade in your skinny jeans for boot cut.
• Put the bag down: Be mindful of the bag you’re carrying around. 7 days diet plan with fruits and vegetable The bigger and fuller of stuff it is, the more strain you’re putting on your neck and back. Weight loss calendar printable Regularly check to see if there are things you can take out of your bag so you’re not carrying an extra load. Paleo diet recipes dinner Backpacks, however, are the best option for your posture because they distribute the weight equally across your shoulders. Low carb diet example Hutchful also says to avoid bags and clutches you carry under your arm because they tend to pull one shoulder lower than the other and twist your neck and spine. Diet plan online If your bag does have on strap, however, alternate shoulders when you carry it. Exercise quotes funny motivational If your bag has a long strap, wear it across the body.
• High heels: These types of shoes force wearers to hold their body in a way that promotes tension in the spine. 4 week diet plan to lose a stone So should you choose to wear heels, try to incorporate trainers or shoes with a lower heel every so often to counteract the potential damage. Exercise quotes wallpaper Chunkier heels and wedges are other options you can choose over a stiletto.
• The right support: It’s what’s on the inside of your clothing that can also count. Best diet for mental health Women need to make sure their bras fit properly so that the shoulders don’t absorb all the strain. Losing weight after 40 success stories Look for a bra that has an under band, but it shouldn’t be too tight or too lose. Paleo guacamole Make sure the centre-fold sits close to your body and that the straps are not too tight on your shoulders.